We are in a remote location not close to any stores. This is a comprehensive list of all things one may need or what to have for their personal use during the retreat. o ensure a comfortable stay at the center and during ayahuasca ceremonies, you should be sure to pack the following items:
- 300 - 1000 soles (Peruvian money) to buy souvenirs when the shipibo tribe comes to sell their arts and crafts. The larger cloths cost 500 soles. Try to get small bills if possible. You may exchange money in the Lima or Iquitos airport. You may also get soles directly from cash machines.
- Water bottle. 1 liter is sufficient. Please do not bring metal water bottles to ceremony. They are very noisy and distracting.
- Personal toiletries, including soap, shampoo, toothpaste, razors, tampons, etc. Those on Immersion retreats or who plan on doing a master plant dieta should bring natural plant based products as no chemicals on the body are allowed during dieta. That means no soap, toothpaste, deodorant, etc.
- Flashlight for use outside of ceremony. Headlamps work very well for reading at night.
- A dim flashlight for use in ceremony. Choose something you can easily shield with your fingers. This could be the same light you use for outside. Please do not use a bright flashlight during ceremony. Light is VERY disturbing to others when on ayahuasca!
- Light-weight shirts suitable for hot weather.
- Several pairs of shorts.
- Bathing suit for flower swimming in our pond.
- Long comfortable pants to wear in ceremony.
- A light sweater. Feeling cold is a common effect of ayahuasca.
- Mosquito repellent for use in jungle walks. Natural repellent that contains both citronella and eucalyptus oil works well
- Light hat for protection from sun.
- Light-weight rain garments.
- Sandals or other shoes easy to take off. We ask people remove their shoes before entering all buildings.
- Comfortable closed shoes for jungle walks. Sport shoes work well. Heavy hiking boots are not needed.
- Journal and pens for writing, or art supplies for drawing.
- Books to read (though we have many at the center). We will greatly appreciate any books that can be left at the center.
- Camera for taking pictures.
- Ear plugs for sleeping. The jungle and rain can be very noisy.
- Extra batteries for your flashlight and camera.
- If anyone can bring a gift of high quality mint tea or one Bic lighter we will greatly appreciate it! Tea bags are easier than loose tea. Airlines only allow one lighter. More than that will be confiscated.
- Second hand clothes. It would be greatly appreciated if you could bring some simple clothes we could gift to people living near the Hummingbird. Both clothes for children of all ages and adults would be welcomed, and put to good use.
- White Sage that we can use for smudging the maloca, tambos and big house. We cannot buy white sage in Peru.
Additional Recommendations To Keep In Mind While Packing for Iquitos **** SMOKERS - Please bring with you all you need to get through your stay. We will not fulfill any requests to get you cigarettes. You are welcome to walk to the village 2.6 km away to buy what they have available.
Malaria pills are not needed at the Hummingbird Center. Our property has very few mosquitos in comparison to other areas of the jungle. Living here since 2010, nobody in our family has gotten malaria
While malaria medication does not have any dangerous interactions with ayahuasca, it can interfere with its work.
As always, feel free to Contact Us if you have any questions.
Experience the deep healing and teaching of Peru’s two visionary medicine plants on a 12-day retreat that includes 7 ceremonies. Allow these powerful medicine plants to get at to root of your problems, clearing energies, beliefs and thought patterns that keep you limited in your daily life. Let ayahuasca and san pedro clear the blocks that keep you repeating the same unproductive behavior, and find the freedom to express your authentic self!
Our 9 day retreat is an introduction to the magic of ayahuasca and the san pedro visionary cactus, with 5 total ceremonies. This retreat is a great choice for those looking for clarity of purpose, relief from minor emotional struggles, a deeper understanding of themselves and freedom to live more authentically, or to deepen your spiritual understanding and connection with the divine. It also includes two talks on reprogramming your subconscious mind.
Immersion retreats are for those looking for extended work with ayahuasca, who desire a master plant dieta, or whose condition needs a longer treatment plan. We offer extended stays of 3 or 4 weeks. Immersion retreats include at least one 8 day dieta with a master medicine plant chosen by the shaman to help with your healing and learning. These longer stays include more ceremonies and personalized coaching from the shaman and facilitators.